Processes payroll either in-house for one employer, or in a payroll bureau who provide payroll services to lots of companies
Keywords / Duties:
- RTI – Real time information-since 2013 all payrolls are processed in real time. All information is given to the tax office when a payslip is generated. Candidates who haven’t done payroll recently may not be aware of these requirements so would need training.
- Auto Enrolment – all workers in the UK are not automatically enrolled into a pension scheme whoever they are employed by. Most clients require payroll staff to understand this process.
- SSP – statutory sick pay
- SMP – statutory maternity pay
- SPP – statutory paternity pay
- Attachment of earnings – usually enforced by HMRC on behalf of the student loan company or child support agency
- Gross to Net – employers often ask for an ability to manually calculate a person’s net pay from their gross pay. This is always fully automated, but somebody who can do this can spot an error if these figures don’t seem right.
Knowledge of the above, accuracy, attention to detail, teamwork, communication.